DIABETES : Types | Symptoms | Home Remedies | Herbal Therapy
What is diabetes
Diabetes is a chronic disease, which can develop in adulthood, adolescence or even in childhood.
It is a metabolic disorder in a body, where in the sugar level in your blood increases over a period of time.
In simple word it means you have too much of glucose in your blood. Insulin is a hormone, produced by pancreas which controls the sugar level (glucose) in our blood.
Diabetes is a situation where, our body either stops producing insulin or it fails to use the produced insulin properly.
Our body needs insulin to use glucose as an energy source or to either store as fat.
Diabetes can lead to acute or short term complications like vomiting, abdominal pain or weakness as well as serious long term complications like high blood pressure or heart disease.
These days diabetes has become very common, 8.8% of the adult population worldwide is suffering from diabetes.
China, India, USA, Brazil, Russian Federation, Mauritius are few out of many countries with high risk of diabetes.
A healthy diet, regular workout, few home remedies and specific medication can help you get rid of diabetes.
There are 3 types of diabetes :
- Type 1 :
It occurs when the pancreas fail to produce insulin or produce very little amount of insulin in the body. As a result the amount of glucose in the blood increases instead of converting into energy. About five to ten percent of people have type 1 diabetes. It generally develops in childhood or adolescence but there are chances of even adults being prone to type 1 diabetes.
- Type 2 :
It occurs when the body fails to properly use the produced insulin which in return results in high blood sugar level. About 90% of people suffering from diabetes have type 2 diabetes. It generally develops in adults but even children can be affected.
- Gestational Diabetes :
It is a temporary condition which occurs during pregnancy, when any pregnant woman without any previous history of diabetes develops high blood sugar level. About 2-4% of pregnant woman can develop diabetes, it not only affects the mother but can equally affect the child.
Diabetes symptoms may vary depending upon the level of increased blood sugar in the body.
In type 1 diabetes symptoms can develop quickly, say in weeks or months , where in
In type 2 diabetes symptoms usually develop very slowly or at times can even be absent over a period of time.
Symptoms of Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes are :
- Frequent urination
- Increased thirst
- Thrush or genital itching
- Slow healing
- Blurred vision
- Weight loss
- Extreme hunger
- Frequent infections
- Nausea and Vomiting
NOTE : In type 2 diabetes as the symptoms come along very slowly so as a result people can live with type 2 diabetes for upto 10 years before they realise they have it.
Risk Factors and Complications
Risk factors of diabetes certainly depend upon the type of diabetes.
Risk factors of Type 1 diabetes are :
- Environmental factors : exposure to viral infections may lead to type 1 diabetes.
Family history : you are more prone to type 1 diabetes if either of the parents or your siblings have type diabetes.
- Presence of autoantibodies : you have an increased risk of developing type 1 diabetes if autoantibodies are present in your body, provided only if any of your family member already has type 1 diabetes. Still not everyone with these autoantibodies develops diabetes.
- Geography : certain countries as such sweden, finland, saudi arabia, norway have high rate of type 1 diabetes.
Risk factors for Type 2 diabetes are :
- Family history : your risk increases of a parent or sibling has type 2 diabetes.
- Weight : your cell becomes resistant towards insulin because of the fatty tissue you develop.
- Age : your risk increases as you grow older may be because you tend to exercise less.
- Race : the reason is yet to discovered why a certain race of people are more prone to diabetes than others. American indians, blacks and even asian americans are at a higher risk.
- High blood pressure : people with high blood pressure are at a high risk to develop type 2 diabetes.
Risk factors for Gestational diabetes :
- Weight : being overweight before pregnancy can increase your risk.
- Age : woman more than 25 years of age are more prone .
- Cardiovascular disease : you are more likely to have a heart disease or stroke.
- Kidney failure : diabetes can damage the kidney’s filtering system and lead to kidney failure.
- Nerve damage : excess of sugar can easily damage the blood vessel , which nourishes the nerves. Nerve damage in turn can result in problems like numbness, vomiting, nausea, constipation.
- Eye damage : diabetes can damage the blood vessel of retina and lead to blurred vision or even complete blindness.
- Skin problems : diabetes can lead to bacterial and fungal infections and many other skin related problems.
Home remedies and Herbal Therapy to reverse diabetes
- There are a couple of food that affect your blood sugar level in a negative way. To naturally reverse diabetes one has to get rid of these food :
- Alcohol : it not only lead to liver toxicity but also rapidly increase the blood sugar level.
- Refined sugar : sugary beverages like soda, fruit juice must be avoided.
- Grains : grains such as wheat, directly breakdown into sugar within few minutes of consumption. Hence to reverse diabetes, say about for 90 days , one must avoid wheat in the diet. Gradually when blood sugar level is controlled , you may start consuming wheat but in small portions or amount.
- Add these food to your diet in order to reverse or prevent yourself from diabetes :
- Fibre rich food : food such as sprouts, avocado, peas, nuts, flaxseed etc. are rich in fibre and helps regulate your blood sugar level.
- Magnesium rich food : magnesium plays an important role in glucose metabolism hence regulates your blood sugar level. Magnesium rich food are : almond, spinach , yogurt.
- Protein rich food : eating protein rich food can slow down the absorption of sugar, organic chicken , eggs are rich source of protein.
- Exercise is very beneficial in naturally reversing the diabetes or even in preventing one from it. It not only supports your metabolism by burning fat but also increases insulin sensitivity. Simple physical activity on a daily basis like – walking, jogging, cycling, practicing yoga for say about 20 to 30 minutes is all you need to get rid of diabetes.
Some herbal therapies have anti diabetic properties. Use of the following therapies will naturally reverse diabetes :
- Aloe vera : intake of aloe vera juice can help one improve blood glucose level. One may directly consume it in the form of edible gel, or tablets.
- Cinnamon : it increases insulin sensitivity and lowers the blood sugar level. Combine 3 drops of cinnamon oil with half teaspoon of coconut oil and massage it on your wrist and abdomen. You may also add a few drop of cinnamon in your tea to directly intake. These days cinnamon coffee is really in, you may go for the same.
- Ginger : the major active component of ginger is rhizome, which can increase intake of glucose in muscle cell without the help of insulin. Therefore , it assist the management of high blood sugar levels. It can be used fresh,dried,in powdered form or as a juice or oil.
- Fenugreek seed : fenugreek seed is high in soluble fibre and hence lowers the blood sugar by slowing the process if digestion and even absorption of carbohydrates. It can be used in both ways, whole and in powdered form.
- Bitter melon : it is said to have active substances with anti-diabetic properties, and it has blood glucose lowering effect. It can be used in the form of food or even medicines, bitter melon juice is also very effective.