Natural Treatment & Home Remedies For high Cholesterol
High cholesterol is one of the most commonly found disease world wide. The lower level of HDL-C and higher level of LDL-C cause the risk of high cholesterol. Some major reasons of high cholesterol are the lifestyle we follow, the stress, the diet we take and lack of exercise.
As per American Heart Association men should intake up to 300 mg cholesterol whereas women should restrict by 275 mg. It is always recommended to have routine checkup of cholesterol and to follow a healthy natural living to fight high cholesterol along with the doctor’s prescription. To know more in detail click here Cholesterol.
Note: We will suggest you to consult your doctor first before going for natural treatment for better advise.
Some Natural diet you should include in your daily life are:
- Avoid cholesterol rich food such as egg, meat, bacon, beef, cheese, butter, milk.
- Vegetable oil say coconut and palm oils should be replaced with polyunsaturated fat such as sunflower, soybean and sesame oil as these can reduce the level of LDL. Olive oil and peanut oil are also good.
- Intake of fiber-rich food production can prove very helpful for lowering the LDL level. Some fiber rich food products are: in whole grains – unprocessed wheat bran, wheat barley, rice and oat bran. In veggies – cabbage, lady finger, potato, carrot etc. , in fruits – mango, guava.
- Some physical activities are necessary to lower the LDL level. One should take some time oou to indulge in few exercises such as jogging cycling and few workout sessions from their daily routine. Yoga is also beneficial for lowering LDL level, some yoga asanas that can be helpful are ardha matsyendrasana, shalabha asana, padmasana and vajrasana.
- Therapies are also proved to be helpful in fighting cholesterol some them are having steam bath (not recommended for the person who suffers from hypertension and other circulatory disorders), hydrotherapy( cold hip bath for 10 minutes, when followed twice daily can reduce excess cholesterol), applying mudpack over abdomen can improve digestion and activates liver and kidney.
The home remedies that a high cholesterol patient should practise to overcome high cholesterol are mentioned below. It always advised to start any home remedies only after consulting a doctor.
Though Coconut oil contains saturated fat but an extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil is beneficial for high cholesterol as it contains lauric acid which increases HDL cholesterol and improves the ratio of HDL and LDL.
Adding just two tablespoon of extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil in your daily life can prove to be very helpful to fight high cholesterol.
One may include a moderate amount of extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil to your favourite dish or salad or can directly have 2 tsp of it daily.
Fish oil has high nutritional value and are rich in omega-3 fatty acids which reduces the clotting, inflammation, lowers the level of triglycerides and increases HDL-C.
Taking a good quality fish oil(1000 mg) supplements or having fish such as sardines, salmon, mackerel, and tuna can reduce the level of cholesterol in our body.
Garlic is a very commonly used ingredient in indian dishes because of its benefits.Garlic is rich in vitamins, minerals, amino acids and organosulfur. Garlic is anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and helps in reducing blood pressure and improves functioning of liver thus reducing the cholesterol level.
Adding 2-3 minced garlic cloves to your dish or salad or having then raw daily can be beneficial.
Every individual should spare some time from their daily schedule and indulge in some work out as it is essential to keep the body fit and strong. This is advised not only to people suffering from any disease but to everyone.
Exercise helps in burning fat thus reducing the triglyceride level and increase the good cholesterol.
Green tea is one of the most common drink that everyone consume as it helps in weight loss. Green tea has antioxidant properties which breaks down LDL-C and thus, contribute in reducing the level of LDL.
Steps to make green tea:
- Pour 1 cup water in vessel
- Add 1 tsp green tea and boil it.
- Now strain it and add few drops of honey.
Drinking green tea daily can prove very beneficial
Flax Seed are rich in Omega-3 fatty acid which is a healthy acid and helps in lowering the level of LDL cholesterol in the body. One may directly have some flax seed or can have it in the from of a drink.
Steps to make Flax seed + Honey solution:
- Take 1 tsp of powdered flaxseed
- Mix it with 1 Glass of warm water or milk
- Add few drops of honey and mix everything well and drink it immediately.
Drink this solution ones in a day.
Plant sterols looks like a cholesterol it floats through small intestine and does not allows the small intestine to absorb cholesterol thus reducing the level of LDL – cholesterol. Plant sterol are found in many fruits, nut, vegetables and grains.
Yogurt are good to maintain your gut health as it contains good bacteria, thus reducing the level of LDL-C. It is always recommended to have a bowl of yogurt daily.
Chia seeds are rich source of omega-3 fatty acids which can help in reducing the level of LDL and thus lowers the risk of heart attack or stroke.
Holy basil is nothing but Tulsi which is very commonly found in india. Tulsi has a high medicinal value in indian, it has been used to naturally treat several diseases.
Holy basil contains a compound called eugenol which help in lowering cholesterol level. One should include having holy basil oil drink for better result.
How to make Holy basil oil drink:
- Add few drops of holy basil oil to a glass of water
- Mix them well and consume it
This drink should be consumed twice daily for a better result
Indian Gooseberry which is widely known in India as amla is used in ayurveda to treat various diseases. Amla is rich in minerals, amino acids Vitamin C and phenolic compounds. Amla works as a natural hypolipidemic agent which causes destruction of lipid concentration and which helps in fighting high cholesterol.
How to make Amla drink:
- Take 1 tsp dried and powdered amla
- Add it to a glass of warm water
- Mix it well and consume it
Consume this drink daily on an empty stomach for good result.
Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar are helpful in reducing the cholesterol level and triglyceride level.
It also used to treat some other diseases such as high blood pressure, respiratory infections etc.
How to make apple cider vinegar drink:
- Take 1 tsp apple cider vinegar(preferably organic)
- Pour it to a glass of water and mix it well
- Consume it 2-3 times a day to increase the taste one may add fresh orange, apple, grape or any other fruit juice
Coriander seed which is known as dhaniya in India is been used in Ayurveda since decades to cure several diseases an on among them is cholesterol, coriander seeds helps in reducing the level of LDL and triglycerides.
How to make coriander drink :
- Take 1 tsp coriander powder
- Add it a vessel containing water
- Now heat the water to boiling point
- The strain it and drink it after it cools down a bit
One can add milk sugar and cinnamon powder to this and have it instead of tea.
Arjuna bark or Arjuna tea:
Arjuna bark or Arjuna tea is rich in micro nutrients such as COQ10 which improves hearts energy output, immunity, and boosts antioxidant levels. It helps in enhancing the heart pumping capacity. Apart from this it also helps in maintaining the level of triglycerides, LDL and HDL.
Including Arjuna tea into your daily routine by replacing normal tea with Arjuna tea can prove beneficial.
Diet and lifestyle changes to prevent high cholesterol.
Our daily living routine i.e. more and more consumption of processed, fatty and junk food products, stressful workspace, no exercise are major reasons of high cholesterol, so it a high time to take your health seriously. Some simple changes in your lifestyle which not only prevent you from high cholesterol but also helps you to stay fit are mentioned below.
- Quit smoking as it has a chemical compound which blocks HDL.
- Reduce the consumption of alcohol to a moderate level as it can affect the liver.
- Eat more healthy fresh and organic products and avoid junks.
- Exercise is must to keep you body fit, boost immunity and burn fat.
- Reduce the consumption of food items which are rich in saturated fat and trans fat as it can increase the level of cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Check the body weight regular to stay in shape, as overweight can lead to high cholesterol and may other diseases.
- Follow a proper diet chart which includes low calorie food and most importantly eat on proper time do not skip you meal and try to have dinner as early as possible.
- Indulge in some yoga asanas such as Surya Namaskar and Pranayama as the help to keep you body and mind positive and healthy.